Configure NVIDIA (non-free) settings and load them on Startup
Take Note that this tutorial is meant for users who are using the NVIDIA Proprietary (non-free) drivers.
You can check what drivers you have installed with:
If you have the Nouveau driver you can install the proprietary NVIDIA driver. To install the non-free drivers; go to a terminal and write:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
Then reboot and your driver should be installed.
To configure Resolution/Refresh Rate:
1. Open terminal run 'sudo nvidia-settings'
2. Change resolution and refresh rate in 'X Server Display Configuration' tab.
3. Hit the 'Save to X Configuration File' button and save to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
4. Open terminal and run 'sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl nvidia --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf'
Note: The above method, currently, does not work in the Cinnamon Edition. When a solution is derived, it will be updated here.
To configure X Screen settings (OpenGL Settings, Antialiasing, X Server XVideo):
1. Open terminal and run 'nvidia-settings'
2. Change settings in X Server XVideo Settings, OpenGL and Antialiasing, in the 'X Screen' tab.
3. Click on 'nvidia-settings configuration' tab and click on the 'Save Current Configuration' button.
4. Save the .nvidia-settings-rc to the default location specified ( /home/user_name )
5. Open terminal and type 'sudo gedit ~/.xinitrc' (or 'sudo gedit /home/user_name/.xinitrc') -> replace gedit with text editor of choice.
6. Once opened, add 'exec nvidia-settings --load-config-only' on a new line (do not add the ' ' ).
7. Save and exit.
There you go. This should (hopefully) solve those having issues with the NVIDIA non-free drivers for loading specific resolutions/refresh rates and X Screen settings on startup.
X Server failed to start after install and reboot
If you restart your computer after the nvidia driver installation, and shows you that the X Server failed to start and the log shows you " modprobe: ERROR: could not insert nvidia : No such a device then deinstall the nvidia driver with sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia then reboot your computer back to your desktop open a terminal write in "sudo gedit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf delete the nouveau out of MODULES, MODULES=" nouveau" -> MODULES="" after that write in the terminal for kernel 3.10 sudo mkinitcpio -p linux310 for Kernel 3.11 sudo mkinitcpio -p linux311 then install the nvidia driver "sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300" reboot and it should work ;)
If you have any problems, improvements or see any errors in this tutorial, please post in this Manjaro forum thread: