The Manjaro HardWare Detection (mhwd) command is a unique feature of Manjaro, which enables the automatic detection and configuration of any kind of computer hardware the system is running on. This includes both hardware connected via PCI (e.g. graphics cards), and connected via USB (e.g. flashdrives).
Run automatically during the installation process, it allows for Manjaro to work fully on your system 'straight out of the box', without the need to manually install necessary drivers or manually edit configuration files. Also usable via the terminal after installation, the features of the mhwd command include:
- The choice of free (i.e. open-source) or non-free (i.e. proprietary) drivers
- Identification and listing of your system's hardware
- Identification and listing of installed drivers
- Listing of available drivers for installation (free and proprietary)
- Support of hybrid graphics cards (e.g. Nvidia Optimus)
- Easy removal and installation of drivers (selected automatically, or you can identify and choose your own)