What is IRC?
#manjaro IRC is a place to provide additional direct support to Manjaro users.
You can access it from the Community tab at Manjaro.org or by using an IRC client like Weechat, Hexchat or Quassel to connect to the #manjaro channel on irc.freenode.net.
It's not a replacement for the forum, but supplements it with direct community support. Sometimes it is quiet and sometimes busy, but we will try to help.
Also, sometimes the reason it is busy is that the conversation has gone off-topic!
For further issues that can't be solved on IRC there is always the Forum.
How do I use Manjaro IRC?
When on the IRC channel, you can also set your own nickname. This will also help to identify you as an actual human being (i.e. rather than a bot). To do so, enter the following command into the text field, where you would normally enter comments:
/nick [your nickname]
For example, to set your nick as "John", you would enter the following:
The only rule of the IRC Channel is to be friendly. Just be yourself, and you'll find a lot of other friendly people to socialize with and receive support from.
Asking questions on IRC
- Ask the question. You don't need to ask for permission to ask, or to find out if anyone is willing to answer the question.
- Make sure you have time to wait for an answer(10 minutes is a bare minimum). If you don't get an answer, it's likely people don't know, are middle of writing one or didn't notice the question.
- Try to be concise with your question.
- Even if you see a lot of people listed on the channel, this doesn't mean that they are actually present.
How to Register a User Name
0. Choose a user name or nick.
The user name should consist only of the letters from A-Z, the numbers from 0-9 and certain symbols such as "_" and "-". It may have a maximum of 16 characters. To do so, enter the following command into the text field, where you would normally enter comments:
/nick [your nickname]
1. Register your nick / user name.
Type the following command and replace "your_password" with a password that will be easy to remember, and replace "your_email_address" with your email address.
/msg nickserv register your_password your_email_address
2. Check your e-mail and verify your account.
- After you register, you will not be able to identify to NickServ until you have verified your registration. To do this, check your email for an account verification code.
3. Type the command that Freenode asks you to type.
- Press the Enter key to fully confirm.
Manjaro IRC is multilingual
It is always a good idea to look for IRC channels in your region too.
- manjaro = Main IRC channels
- manjaro-de = German IRC Channel
- manjaro-es = Spanish
- manjaro.bnl = Dutch / belgium users
- manjaro.fr = French users
- linuxpark = Turkish IRC channel
- kissbrasil = Portugues irc Channel
- manjaro-talk = Manjaro off-topic channel, is optional in use.
Following is a link to this page's forum counterpart where you can post any related feedback: